Detroit Renaissance guard Jordan Sigmon, the 2025 Mr. PSL winner, explained why he is transferring to an Iowa prep academy for his senior season.
One of the top rising seniors in Detroit high school basketball will be transferring ahead of the 2025-26 season.
Detroit Renaissance guard Jordan Sigmon announced on social media on Tuesday, July 8, that he will be transferring to Iowa United Prep, a basketball-focused prep academy in Des Moines, Iowa.
Sigmon said he had been thinking about the decision along with his family for a couple of months before Tuesday's final decision. The chance to play a national schedule on a roster featuring other top talents such as four-star Arafan Diane, the No. 1 center in 247 Sports' composite 2026 rankings, was compelling.
"It was more playing on the national level (and) gaining that type of exposure," Sigmon told the Free Press after announcing his transfer. "I feel like being seen by national coaches, national agents, everything like that.
"Everything takes a full swing in that direction. I feel like that national scale will help me develop as a player going into college next year."
Sigmon, entering his senior year, was set to become the focal point for Renaissance next season. He played alongside Hal Schram Mr. Basketball Award finalist Lance Stone, who is now at Detroit Mercy, in the Phoenix's backcourt last season. Sigmon led the team in scoring, averaging 26 points and six rebounds, and earned Mr. PSL honors in 2025. Sigmon is rated as a three-star recruit and the top 2026 player in Michigan according to 247 Sports.
He informed his coach, John White, of the decision earlier on Tuesday ahead of the announcement.
"He was just like, I feel like this is a great opportunity for you," Sigmon said. "... There was no animosity. It was really good to know that he was rooting for me. I know how that can be sometimes leaving home, but he is really rooting for me because this is good for my future. I appreciate him."
Sigmon would have been the lead option in Renaissance's offense, playing alongside Jayden Miller and incoming freshman point guard Kingston Hunt. He was one of the early names to watch as a Mr. Basketball finalist heading into his senior year.
Instead, Sigmon will slot in as the point guard for Iowa United.
"Everybody is all in and all for the players," Sigmon said. "I really love that about the academy and I'm looking forward to getting up there next month."
Sigmon is the second top player in Michigan's 2026 class to transfer this offseason. Former Wayne Memorial point guard Carlos Medlock Jr. announced his transfer to Link Academy in Missouri in May.
Sigmon's recruitment has picked up after his standout junior season, which has carried over to the summer travel circuit.
"I'm still taking my time with my recruitment," Sigmon said. "We are getting closer and closer to where I'm going and narrowing it down."
Jared Ramsey covers high school sports for the Detroit Free Press. Contact him at [email protected]; Follow Jared on X or Bluesky.
This article originally appeared on Detroit Free Press: Michigan high school basketball: Jordan Sigmon leaving Renaissance
Category: General Sports